North Macedonian government official optimistic about Bulgarian veto – EURACTIV.com


North Macedonian Deputy Prime Minister Artan Grubi believes Bulgaria may be on the verge of giving the green light to the country’s EU membership, suggesting that the veto could be lifted.

Bulgaria refused to allow North Macedonia access to the first intergovernmental conference, marking the official start of accession negotiations on unresolved issues of language, culture and human rights.

Grubi told Macedonian media that he had received reports that Sofia might have to change her position.

“We are optimistic because we have information. We have full information on what is going on between Skopje and Sofia, and it gives us full confidence that this issue can be resolved. We are trying at the EU summit on December 14 to get the first positive signals that the door will open for us. “

He added that his government had prepared a response to Bulgarian conditions which “we believe are acceptable”.

“Our aim is to solve this problem in January, February or March of next year and in the months to come next year to organize the first intergovernmental conference,” he said.

As for the future of the Macedonian government after the crushing defeat of the local elections, Grubi remained optimistic and spoke of an “increase in parliamentary support”.

“Local elections are not linked to the central government and the ruling majority is stable. Zoran Zaev is the key figure in Macedonia’s European perspective.

Bulgarian President Rumen Radev has previously confirmed that his government wants North Macedonia to continue on its path to EU membership, noting that “it is not complicated” but that certain conditions must first be met.

(Alice Taylor | Exit.al/en)


Comments are closed.